I hate to break it to you all, but it’s time to wave Summer goodbye and start to embrace Autumn as the colder weather draws in. But don’t worry, with the change in season comes a change in activities and a start of a new kind of fun to be found outdoors- especially with a toddler in tow.
Think of all the long muddy walks through fields and forest, the kicking of dead leaves on the ground and the enjoyment of splashing in puddles. Lets be honest Autumn is fun but it sure is pretty mucky!
With that in mind there are some Autumn essentials everyone needs in their wardrobes. While the kids are no doubt kitted out in the child friendly all-weather basics, don’t forget to treat yourself to some new items to make this transitional period more enjoyable instead of stressful.
1. Hunter Wellies should already be in your wardrobe and if they’re not you need to make sure you amend that right away. Yes they’re expensive compared to the cheap wellies you can pick up from your bargain stores, but those wellies aren’t meant to last. Hunter wellies as I can testify will be the wellies you have for life. Plus they look good, are comfortable and you can buy nice warm fleecy Hunter welly socks to keep your tootsies nice and snug.
2. A Barbour Jacket is something I need to make sure I buy. I’ve been meaning to for the last three or four years but just haven’t gotten around to it. This heritage coat is literally made for the blustery British weather. It’s waterproof on the outside, cosy on the inside and keeps wind and rain at a distance! Plus the coat I want (here) has suede pockets to keep your fingers warm if you forget your gloves.
3. A Woolly Hat is another essential. Yes a fedora hat is definitely more stylish, but with the wind and a running toddler it’s just not practical. So a nice beanie hat that fits snug to your head and keeps your ears warm is a much better choice. I love this one by Topshop with the pom pom detail.
4. It might be time to upgrade your handbag, and a Rucksack is much easier when outdoors with a toddler. Good thing a nice back pack is in season, and this one from Whistle’s called the Verity Large is top of my pick at the moment. The zip means everything stays secure, even if you are running around!
5. Last but not least don’t forget a pair of Sunglasses. I love these oversized 60’s style ones by Topshop. Even thought the temperature might drop, the sun doesn’t tend to disappear completely and some days the sunshine can still be overpowering. Best to protect those eyes!
What are your Autumn must haves?